Friday, June 25, 2010

Road Trip Tips...

Here is the great info that Kristelle Hampton shared with us...

1-We just got back website that has a list of 38 ideas of fun things to do and helpful tips while on a road trip with your kids…

This is the link… http://www.wejustgotback.com/default.aspx?mod=tips_road

2-Momsminivan.com is another website with 101 ideas, articles and tips but some of these are links to items for purchase on Amazon etc…

These are the ideas that I used …

3-Road Trip Scavenger Hunt-
These can be found all over the web but the one I used is this… I liked it because it also has one with pictures for younger kids that don’t read.
http://www.momsminivan.com/scavenger.html

4-Licence plate game with a map of the USA –
I gave each of my kids a map of the USA. They would color in the states as we see them. This version of the game gives them a really good sense of our country's geography. Plus, I got into it too… Way Fun!
http://www.coloringcastle.com/pdfs/us_states/united_states_state_names.pdf
Licence plate bingo – This one could be fun but my kids got way more into the previous game.
http://www.scholastic.com/play/print/license_print.htm

5-Disney Character Coloring Pages-
They have any character you’re little ones love and admire! (…Except my daughter’s favorite… Tinkerbell!)
I just did a search for “Tinkerbell printable coloring pages” and there were plenty to choose from.
http://disney.go.com/magicartist/coloring/index.html

6-Discovery Education's Puzzlemaker provides you with the tool to create customized puzzles! It’s awesome… all you have to do to make a word search puzzle is type in the words and it does the rest… just print it and enjoy! It has a whole list of different puzzles you can make to any theme you want… word search, crossword puzzles, mazes, cryptograms, hidden messages etc… Of course, the ones I made, I used Disney characters names and all Disney themes! So FUN! Go try it out… the best part is it’s FREE!
http://puzzlemaker.discoveryeducation.com/

These are a few ideas that I wanted to use but maybe next time…
(These are from the “We just got back” website)

7-Pipe cleaners- Here is another idea for a creative car ride. Buy a package of pipe cleaners in assorted colors from any craft store. They can make necklaces, swords, bracelets, towers—anything their little minds can think up.

8-My kids are always squabbling in the back of the car. Give them each a roll of low-tack masking tape and tell them they can build a divider between themselves, right down the middle of the back seat. Soon, they will be busy and giggling and they will end up with a tremendous wall of tape. When you get to your destination, the wall will come down in one fell swoop. No muss, no fuss.

9-Load my iPod with free audio stories for children from Storynory. Something “just for them” and stories that are age-appropriate. http://storynory.com/
For older kids you can get audio books… We have done Harry Potter before.

After I found and printed all the things I wanted, I stapled it together for each child and then put it on their own basic clipboard that I found cheaply at WalMart for $1.50 each. This was a perfect idea as it was very inexpensive, gave them something hard to write on, easy for them to keep in the pocket in front of them or down the side of the seat, kept it all together …nice and tidy and didn’t take up much room! Isn’t the internet grand?

If you have any questions feel free to call or email me… Kristelle Hampton 801-768-8863 kristelle@segamer.com

No comments:

Post a Comment